Big Brother 28's Chuk Anyanwu Says Kamu's Veto Decision 'Told Me Everything' (Exclusive)

Chuk Anyanwu became the fifth houseguest evicted from Big Brother 28 on Thursday night, losing in a 9-1 vote against Barrett Pfeiffer. Head of Household LaTrice “Lala” Verrett had nominated the 27-year-old Dallas supply chain analyst alongside Barrett and Haley Thogmartin, his closest ally in the house. When Chuk’s former ally Kamu Kirk then won the Power of Veto and left the nominations untouched, Chuk says he knew he was in trouble — and yet still didn’t campaign. Haley went on to win the BB Blockbuster and take herself off the block, but the votes had already started moving. Dee Valladares, Barrett and others had spent the week working to keep Haley and send Chuk home instead.

Speaking with Men’s Journal the morning after his eviction, Chuk opened up about the veto meeting he says he never recovered from. “The fact that my ally Kamu didn’t want to use the veto on me, who I chose him to play, that told me everything,” he said. “I knew he was drawing a line in the sand.”

Chuk also explains why he brushed off Taylor Brown‘s advice to campaign harder, what he told Julie Chen Moonves about targeting Lala, why he’d never put Kamu on the block directly, and why — even while calling her HOH a success — he still doesn’t think Lala is playing the game. Scroll down to read our full interview with Chuk.

Scroll down to read the full interview with Chuk.

Men’s Journal: Hey Chuk, how you doing this morning?

Chuk Anyanwu: Sharon! What’s up? I’m doing okay. You know, freshly evicted. It’s okay, that happens, but I’m doing well. Wish I was still fighting there with my houseguests, but I’m not. It’s okay.

Men’s Journal: What’s the most surprising thing you’ve learned since you’ve been out of the house now, like 12 hours or so?

Chuk Anyanwu: It would be Kamu going up to Lala and throwing us under the bus. And me and Haley knew that it had to be someone with the most influence in the house. And if you’re in the house, everyone knows Kamu has arguably the most influence, and he’s a strong competitor. People see that and are going to listen to him. So I knew it could only be a few people that could go into Lala’s room and change her mind.

Men’s Journal: Yeah, I was going to say, did you get any red flags when your ally Kamu didn’t want to use the veto?

Chuk Anyanwu: Yeah, that was the biggest red flag ever, right? The fact that my ally Kamu didn’t want to use the veto on me, who I chose him to play, that told me everything. I knew he was drawing a line in the sand. I knew that he was siding a little bit more with the icons, Dee [Valladares], [Rick] Devens and Angela [Murray], and so him telling me that he didn’t want to risk Dee and Devens being renominated — I’m like, dude, it’s us. It’s me and Haley on the block. Wouldn’t you rather Dee and Devens, one of them, go home rather than me or Haley? So it was writing in the sand. And once I told that guy, he didn’t change his mind, and once he had his mind set, I knew it was like, yeah, it’s almost like talking to a dead horse.

Men’s Journal: We saw you hanging out with Haley a lot this week. You guys are very close. Do you feel like you did enough campaigning though? Taylor was really trying to get you to campaign, and you did not seem to want to take that advice.

Chuk Anyanwu: I did not want to take that advice because I felt that I did not see her as a strong competitor, and so that’s on me, not seeing her as a strong competitor, to want to listen to her advice. Did I hear it out? I heard it out, but I take it with a grain of salt, right? I wanted to truly campaign how I wanted to campaign. I know that certain times people’s minds are made up, and when it’s coming from such an influential source, people are not going to sway, right? And of course, it’s a big target. Get Chuk out. I knew people were going to potentially try and take that swing, but I felt like I would be that first official shield in the house, right? Keeping me in, most likely someone’s going to throw me on the block again that next week, right? And so it truly would save anyone else from being on that block. Of course, you’d have two other people. But I did not want to campaign because I didn’t want to get messy, right? I didn’t want to throw Barrett under the bus. I didn’t want to keep telling people Barrett’s a floater. And I knew I didn’t want to be going about my game being messy. But hindsight 20/20, could have done a little bit better job.

Men’s Journal: Do you feel like you made enough connections in the house outside of Haley and Kamu? Who else in the house did you feel close to?

Chuk Anyanwu: I felt close to Yash [Patel], and that was the only other person I really felt close to in the house. I’m someone to where I thought I could leave my heart at the door. This game is truly interesting. You think you can leave your heart at the door. You think you can go in there and lie and do all these other things, right? But the minute I felt that people were being deceitful towards me, or the minute I felt people were lying or keeping information away from me, I truly could not. I couldn’t want to build anything more. I couldn’t build a relationship in the house with them because I now know that you are potentially trying to get me out of this game. That’s where I struggled. The minute I felt someone was lying to me, I just could not want to build a relationship with them.

Men’s Journal: Eveyrthing sort of blew up last week with the flip. You told Julie you’d go after Lala and Taylor, but why not Kamu or Dee or Angela and people that flipped on you?

Chuk Anyanwu: It’s because I’m learning so much new information on the reasons being who flipped and who cascaded that information, right? And Kamu’s a hell of a player, right? Kamu’s someone to where you truly want to backdoor the guy, right? You don’t want to give that guy multiple chances to get himself off the block, right? And Lala was going to be on that block if I was HOH. There’s no way Lala was going to not see that block. That’s crazy, the way she treated me that last week. There was no way I could not do that. Call it tit for tat, but it’s just how I want to play my game. Everyone plays their game truly differently. And the other two, right? Taylor gave me some really good advice, but I felt like she wasn’t vying for me to change Lala’s mind, and I felt we had a pretty good relationship, and that kind of hurt me a little bit too, right there. And then that third person, it was truly going to be who I needed to get to the bottom of, who is lying to me. And I know I would not put Kamu up if I was HOH. He truly would be someone that I would have to backdoor, renom, just because that is a strong competitor right there.

Men’s Journal: You had an interesting relationship with Lala. You said she doesn’t know what’s going on, but she did win HOH, and you went out on her HOH. So can we give her her flowers a little bit?

Chuk Anyanwu: What a successful HOH, right? She’s bad. She’s a badass, right? And excuse my language. She’s a beast, right? And I kept saying she was confused because she just goes about the day not integrating herself in conversations, not talking game with anyone. Everyone I talked to said the same thing. Lala doesn’t talk game with anyone. So anytime you hear that, you’re like, so does she know how to play this game? Is she trying to play this game, or is she just trying to play the mom role of the house? Right? And we’re all grown adults. We’re not going to just bring you all the way to the end. Well, I’m not there no more. People aren’t just gonna bring you all the way to the end because she’s playing that mom role of the house. You truly need to play the game, and you’re going to see the block, and you cannot be mad if you see the block because you did not try to play the game.

Men’s Journal: What was the hardest part about actually living in that house with other people?

Chuk Anyanwu: Oh my! The hardest thing about living in that house with other people was living with that many personalities, and people potentially being deceitful was arguably the hardest thing. You’re living with big personalities and big liars, so that mix will truly have you, if your mental is not right, truly going into just paranoid mode. So hands down, it would be just living with big personalities who are all trying to deceive, who are all being deceitful, right? Because there can only be one winner.

Men’s Journal: How much Big Brother did you watch going into the show? Do you feel like you could have watched more?

Chuk Anyanwu: Oh, could have completely watched more, 100 percent. But I loved it. I truly loved it. Could have watched more, but I loved it because I didn’t want to make my game like anyone else, right? I did not want to go into this game being like, I want to be like that last guy or that person, or have my game look just like that girl, or have people see me like this person. So truly I loved it, and I wouldn’t change it either way. Also, when I got into the Red Corner, I was like, oh, this is great, right? We can skate by it and fight each other towards the end. But truly, it was minimal. Could have watched more, but hey.

This interview was edited and condensed for clarity.

Related: Big Brother 28’s Lyric Medeiros Responds to Hearing Melody Wanted to ‘Punch Her in the Face’ (Exclusive)



source https://www.mensjournal.com/entertainment/big-brother-28-chuk-anyanwu-exit-interview-exclusive

Comments

Popular Posts